At the beginning of the sixteenth century several trade houses of Nürnberg and Augsburg settled in Lisbon. These German merchant-bankers tried to enter into direct negotiations with the Portuguese Crown as far as the overseas commercial trading was concerned. They managed to be granted by King Manuel the advantageous Privilege of the Germans (1503-1511). In 1505 and 1506, they participated in consortia in the arming of the fleets to India. Through the testimonies of their foremen we intend to look at the life within the colony of German merchants in Lisbon, characterized by rivalries and also by cooperation among its members.
|Number of pages||20|
|Journal||Cadernos do Arquivo Municipal de Lisboa|
|Publication status||Published - 2015|
- Economic history
- German-Portuguese relations